Class Title: Financial Examiner I
Assistant Trust Examiner
Position Number: 451.2023-03
Opening Date: September 15, 2022
Closing Date: October 17, 2022 (Extended)
Starting Salary: $4,866 monthly salary
Division: Bank & Trust Supervision
Work Location: Dallas, Houston, Lubbock, San Antonio
Overnight Travel: Extensive: at least 50%
This assistant trust examiner position is heavily involved in learning examination work procedures predominantly through on-the-job training under direct supervision. As a member of the examination team, carefully examines bank and trust company records to determine the financial condition and compliance with laws and regulations under the supervision of the Chief Trust Examiner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Progressively undertakes responsibilities associated with becoming a commissioned trust examiner including work assignments, training and comprehension of governing laws and regulations.
- Read and study various reference materials including the Texas Finance Code, FDIC manual of examination policies and procedures, departmental memorandums, and the Department of Banking Procedures manual.
- Assists in the examination of bank trust departments and trust companies with progressively increasing job responsibilities and expectations.
- Actively participates in on-the-job training and formal training to acquire basic banking knowledge and bank supervisory skills.
- Participates in training designed to enhance oral and written communication skills, acquire fundamental analytical skills and develop the ability to function productively.
- Submit assigned tasks and administrative paperwork in a neat, legible and timely manner.
- Attend assigned schools and training seminars.
- Safeguard equipment, sensitive data and other resources.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Experience and Education Requirements
The following education requirements must be met by December 23, 2022. Any employment offers made prior to this date will be rescinded if the minimum education requirements are not met and verified by that date.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in finance, accounting, business administration, economics or job-related field with a minimum of six hours, nine preferred, in accounting to include basic and / or intermediate accounting.
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50 on a 4.0 scale for accounting hours.
- Must have a minimum overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Copy of official college transcripts must be submitted prior to December 23, 2022.
- Work experience with a financial institution desired.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English with the ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing.
- Position requires at least 50 % overnight travel.
- Must possess or obtain within six months a valid Texas Driver’s license. Satisfactory driving records are required for driving any vehicle to conduct agency business. Final applicants must certify that personally owned vehicles used for agency business have Texas minimum liability coverage and a valid state inspection.
- This position requires that the incumbent demonstrate strong personal financial responsibility and integrity.
- Final applicants may be subject to an employment credit check, driving record check, and criminal background check.
- Applicants selected for an interview may be asked to complete a work style profile.
- Assigned work locations require flexibility in dealing with constantly changing work environment.
- Applicants interviewed and selected for this position may be extended a conditional offer of employment with the Department for a January 2, 2023 start date, pending verification of educational requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrates clear and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Possesses working knowledge in the use of personal computers, especially word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Accuracy in performing mathematical and financial calculations.
- Skill in collecting, analyzing and documenting research data.
- Skill in preparing accurate written reports on research findings.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, team members, regulated entity employees, and the public.
- Ability to be self-motivated and follow established procedures involved in examinations and
- understand the overall operations involved.
- Ability to learn moderately complex technical issues and maintain complex records.
- Ability to learn to analyze financial statements, reports, records, and forms.
- Ability to read, comprehend and apply rules and statutes regulating the banking industry.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
Physical and Cognitive Requirements
The physical demands described here are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the incumbent to primarily perform sedentary office work; however, mobility (standing and walking) is routinely required to carry out some duties. It requires extensive computer, copiers, printers, telephone and client/customer contact. The job also requires normal cognitive abilities requiring the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies. It requires the stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. Marginal or corrected visual, speech and auditory requirements are required for reading printed materials and computer screens and communicating with internal and external customers. The position requires:
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent sitting.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- Extensive travel: at least 50% overnight travel.
Application Process: Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the job requirements, education, and experience listed below. A copy of your most recent transcripts must be submitted with your application. Final transcripts must be submitted upon graduation. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. Incomplete applications or applications received without the required documentation will not be accepted for consideration.
Submit Applications and Transcripts to: Human Resources, 2601 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX. 78705, or fax to (512) 475-1313, or e-mail to email@example.com or via www.workintexas.com . Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on the closing date. A State Application may be obtained from the website http://www.dob.texas.gov or www.workintexas.com . The required documentation may be submitted separate from the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the required documentation is received by the closing date.
State law prohibits any employee of the Department from being or becoming “directly or indirectly indebted to, or financially interested in an entity supervised or regulated by the Banking Commissioner.” See Texas Finance Code, Section 12.107.
Those selected for an interview will be contacted by telephone. Final male applicants between the ages of 18 to 26 will be required to furnish proof of registration or exemption from registration with the selective service system.
E-Verify – This organization participates in E-Verify. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
The Texas Department of Banking is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. A disabled individual requiring reasonable accommodation shall not be denied the opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 475-1347.