Class Title: Programmer V - Limited Term
Position Number: 451.2021-07
Opening Date: January 7, 2021
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Starting Salary: $6,363 – $8,562.25 monthly
Limited Term Position not to exceed August 31, 2023.
Division: Management Information Systems
Work Location: Austin
Overnight Travel: Up to 5%
Application Process: Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the job requirements, education, and experience listed below. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. A copy of college transcripts is required. All applications must have an original signature. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for consideration.
Submit Applications and Transcripts to:
Human Resources, 2601 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX. 78705, or fax to (512) 475-1313, or e-mail to email@example.com or via WorkInTexas.com . Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on the closing date. A State Application may be obtained from the Department of Banking website or WorkInTexas.com. The required documentation may be submitted separate from the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the required documentation is received by the closing date.
Performs highly advanced (senior-level) computer programming work. Work involves overseeing programming projects; analyzing proposed applications; designing software solutions, developing and implementing software products and managing solutions through third party providers. Works collaboratively and professionally with all staff. May supervise the work of others. Works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the evaluation, development, implementation, maintenance, and documentation of software packages.
- Responsible for application performance monitoring; implements and recommends efficiency improvements.
- Ensures changes, updates, migrations, integrations, and data changes are appropriately tested and validated.
- Responsible for ensuring applications are conforming to secure coding standards.
- Oversees and/or performs work related to migrating application and data services to cloud providers.
- Oversees and/or analyses, designs, plans, diagrams, and verifies procedures for existing and proposed applications.
- Reviews and evaluates programming efforts in relation to systems requirements.
- Oversees and/or performs highly complex coding, testing, debugging, and implementation of applications.
- Provides technical advice, assistance, and recommendations in matters related to programming operations and problems.
- Implements and monitors for compliance standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures designed to ensure the integrity of software development and implementation.
- Ensures that development procedures adhere to version control processes.
- Oversees and/or develops instructions or manuals for end users.
- Oversees the implementation and maintenance of third party provided solutions.
- Develops, implements, monitors, and reports compliance for procedures used in MIS to ensure they support and enhance the security posture of the agency.
- Supports and trains staff for proper development practices, source code management, application support and QA practices.
- Performs QA activities in support of development efforts as necessary.
- Provides timely and accurate status reports to management.
- Reviews and provides input for development of MIS budgets.
- Collaborates with IT and agency staff of all levels to ensure business needs are addressed in a timely, effective, and cost-effective manner.
- Maintains IT procedures in a clear, concise, and professional manner.
- Represents the Department of Banking to other governmental, stakeholder, and regulated entities in a professional, collaborative, and objective manner.
- May supervise the work of others
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Experience & Education
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in Information Technology or related field.
- Experience may substitute for education on a year for year basis.
- Five years experience in Software Programming with progressively more responsibility.
- Three years experience documenting software requirements.
- Knowledge and experience with .Net Framework, C#, Java Script.
- Experience with People Tools.
- Experience with PowerBuilder.
- Working knowledge of REST services fundamentals, deployments, debugging.
- Experience with one of the following [Angular, VUE, React] Single Page Applications, Type Script, browser tools, Visual Studio Code.
- Source Control [GIT, Azure Dev Ops]
- Familiar with SQL store procedures for Oracle and SQL Server.
- Experience with Agile methodology using tools like Jira.
- Experience with secure coding best practices.
- Experience with cloud offerings for hosting applications.
- Experience with the full stack MS development environment including Visual Studio, Entity Framework, Postman, IIS Website configuration.
- This position requires that the incumbent demonstrate strong personal financial responsibility and integrity.
- Final applicants will be subject to an employment credit check, driving record check, and criminal background check.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of Agile Software Development processes.
- Knowledge of .Net and supported frameworks.
- Knowledge of the SDLC.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to process information logically.
- Ability to design programs and systems logic, to prepare program specifications, to code, test, and debug software.
- Ability to interpret technical information related to programming and other areas of data processing.
- Ability to produce a high degree of accuracy in work products.
- Ability to manage multiple development efforts while adhering to development schedules.
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact, and diplomacy in all communications.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical and other information both orally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to effectively interpret policies, procedures and regulations relating to information technology.
- Ability to craft and implement new IT systems and procedures and to evaluate their effectiveness.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to work on concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment while effectively planning, prioritizing, assigning, and overseeing the work of others.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive and accurate schedules and reports; ability to prepare and/or make presentations to individuals and various internal and/or external groups.
- Ability to effectively develop project plans and to organize and manage complex information technology projects to completion; ability to conduct effective, thorough review of project requirements and deliverables; knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels.
- Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
- Ability to utilize the available time to organize, implement and complete division objectives within given deadlines.
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws.
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations, and standards.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal, and external customers.
- Ability to understand, follow, and convey brief oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to promote and encourage organization adoptions of technological solutions and teach management and staff new technology.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment.
- Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems; in coordinating solutions to problems; in developing or revising system; in scheduling, testing, installing, and implementing system software, and in defect remediation.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and resolve complex technical issues; to analyze systems, applications and procedures; to write and revise standards and procedures; to communicate effectively; and to supervise the work of others.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules and available to work remotely and in office.
Physical and Cognitive Requirements:
The physical demands described here are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
This position requires the incumbent to primarily perform sedentary office work; however, mobility (standing and walking) is routinely required to carry out some duties. It requires extensive computer, copiers, printers, telephone, and client/customer contact. The job also requires normal cognitive abilities requiring the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies. It requires the stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. Marginal or corrected visual, speech, and auditory requirements are required for reading printed materials and computer screens and communicating with internal and external customers.
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent sitting.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- Overnight Travel: up to 5%
State law prohibits any employee of the Department from being or becoming “directly or indirectly indebted to, or financially interested in an entity supervised or regulated by the Banking Commissioner.” See Texas Finance Code, Section 12.107.
Those selected for an interview will be contacted by telephone. Final male applicants between the ages of 18 to 26 will be required to furnish proof of registration or exemption from registration with the selective service system.
E-Verify – This organization participates in E-Verify. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
The Texas Department of Banking is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. A disabled individual requiring reasonable accommodation shall not be denied opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 475-1347.