Class Title: Director V
Director of Corporate Activities
Position Number: 451.2019-14
Opening Date: February 5, 2019
Closing Date: March 5, 2019
Starting Salary: $9,316 - $12,891 monthly
Work Location: Austin Headquarters
Overnight Travel: Up to 10%
Application Process: Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the job requirements, education, and experience listed below. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. A copy of college transcripts is required. All applications must have an original signature. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for consideration.
Submit Applications and Transcripts to:
Human Resources, 2601 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX. 78705, or fax to (512) 475-1313, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or via WorkInTexas.com . Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on the closing date. A State Application may be obtained from the Department of Banking website or WorkInTexas.com. The required documentation may be submitted separate from the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the required documentation is received by the closing date..
Oversees the acceptance/completion of bank, trust, and money service business applications (i.e., charters, change of home office, purchase and assumptions, mergers, branches, etc.) and Corporate filings (i.e., amendments to articles). Supervises all administrative and support personnel within the division.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews, processes, and makes recommendations to the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioners concerning applications and filings.
- Oversees filings of Corporate documents.
- Responds to general correspondence and telephone inquiries regarding corporate matters.
- Implements procedures to ensure all time processing deadlines are met.
- Reports to and regularly communicates with the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner(s) regarding matters relating to the activities of the division.
- Provides overall supervision and direction to division personnel while ensuring that a high degree of professionalism, employee morale, and a cooperative work environment is maintained.
- Promotes a harassment-free work environment. Provides leadership to ensure that all personnel actions are accomplished without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.
- Assures that periodic employee performance appraisals are conducted on a timely basis and in accordance with applicable position performance standards. Makes final recommendations for personnel actions consistent with the Department’s needs and resources and with employee performance and career advancement opportunities.
- Assesses divisional training needs and makes recommendations for training to assure a competent staff capable of fulfilling its responsibilities.
- Represents the Department at meetings with executive offices and Board of Directors as well as other stakeholders.
- Responsible for development and implementation of appropriate procedures.
- Represents the Department as a speaker, panelist or moderator at various industry and regulatory meetings, conferences, seminars or other official functions.
- Communicates and coordinates work involving other divisions such as Bank and Trust, Legal, and Special Audits.
- Reviews various reports prepared by members of the Corporate Staff including such things as time sheets, expense vouchers, performance measures, budgets, etc.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Education, Experience and Licensure
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in finance, accounting, business administration, economics, or a related field.
- Must be a current or former bank examiner commissioned by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Federal Reserve, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Texas Department of Banking, or another approved banking authority.
- Eight years progressively responsible experience in regulation, examination, and analysis of financial institutions and/or related industry experience.
- Possess and exhibit excellent personnel supervisory skills including three years current experience in management and supervision.
- Current or recent regulatory experience required.
- Fluency in Spanish with the ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing.
- Successful completion of a recognized graduate Banking School curricula.
- Knowledge of Department of Banking policies, procedures, and operations.
- Knowledge of money service business regulation.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Thorough working knowledge of operations and laws applicable to regulated entities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess working knowledge in the use of personal computers, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Understand and employ effective leadership and team building skills. Capable of successfully negotiating difficult situations and building consensus.
- Familiarity with budgeting and planning concepts.
- Possess and exhibit excellent personnel supervisory.
- Ability to be self-motivated and exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Position requires some overnight travel, up to 10%.
- Must possess or obtain within six months a valid Texas Driver’s license. Satisfactory driving records are required for driving any vehicle to conduct agency business. Final applicants must certify that personally owned vehicles used for agency business have Texas minimum liability coverage and a valid state inspection.
- This position requires that the incumbent demonstrate strong personal financial responsibility and integrity.
- Final applicants may be subject to an employment credit check, driving record check, and criminal background check.
Physical and Cognitive Requirements:
The physical demands described here are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the incumbent to primarily perform sedentary office work; however, mobility (standing and walking) is routinely required to carry out some duties. It requires extensive computer, copiers, printers telephone and client/customer contact. The job also requires normal cognitive abilities requiring the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies. It requires the stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. Marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements are required for reading printed materials and computer screens and communicating with internal and external customers. The position requires:
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Frequent use of personal computer, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent sitting.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- Travel required, up to 10% with overnight stays.
Those selected for an interview will be contacted by telephone. Final male applicants between the ages of 18 to 26 will be required to furnish proof of registration or exemption from registration with the selective service system.
State law prohibits any employee of the Department from being or becoming “directly or indirectly indebted to, or financially interested in an entity supervised or regulated by the Banking Commissioner.” See Texas Finance Code, Section 12.107.
E-Verify – This organization participates in E-Verify. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
The Texas Department of Banking is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. A disabled individual requiring reasonable accommodation shall not be denied the opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 475-1347.