Class Title: Programmer II
Position Number: 451.2018-24
Opening Date: July 3, 2018
Closing Date: July 17, 2018
Starting Salary: $3,750 - $4,166.00 monthly
Work Location: Austin
Overnight Travel: 5%
Application Process: Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the job requirements, education, and experience listed below. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. All applications must have an original signature. Incomplete applications or applications received without the required documentation will not be accepted for consideration.
Submit Applications and Transcripts to:
Human Resources, 2601 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX. 78705, or fax to (512) 475-1313, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or via WorkInTexas.com . Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on the closing date. A State Application may be obtained from the Department of Banking website or WorkInTexas.com. The required documentation may be submitted separate from the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the required documentation is received by the closing date.
Performs moderately complex (journey-level) computer programming work. Work involves analyzing system specifications to develop programs for computer applications; developing solution programs; documenting the methods and procedures used in program development; and testing, correcting, and revising programs. Works under general supervision, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyzes proposed computer applications in terms of equipment requirements and capabilities.
- Analyzes, reviews, and revises programs to increase operating efficiency or to adapt to new procedures.
- Codes, tests, and debugs program as outlined by a system’s technical and functional requirements.
- Compiles and documents procedures used throughout program development and revision.
- Prepares detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output, and logical operation and converts them into a series of instructions coded in a computer language.
- Prepares instructions for use during production runs.
- Assists in performing research and the analysis required for project proposal, software and systems modifications, and new projects.
- Assists in the preparation and development of instructions or manuals to provide guidance to end users.
- Assists in developing equipment requirements and capabilities for proposed computer applications.
- Assists in analyzing software problems and developing solutions.
- Assists in preparing detailed analyses, plans, diagrams, and verification procedures for existing and proposed computer applications.
- May assist in the generation or installation of systems software.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Experience in computer programming work
- One-year experience writing web applications using Asp.NET, MVC and/or Web API.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university, preferred, with major coursework in data processing, computer science, business, or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of computer programming and systems analysis; of computer operations procedures and systems; and of computer programming languages.
- Skill in problem solving, in critical thinking, in computer programming, in the use of computer hardware and software, and in modifying or developing programs for computer applications.
- Ability to process information logically; to design programs and systems architecture; to prepare program specifications; to code, test, and debug computer programs; to interpret technical information related to computer programming and other areas of data processing; and to communicate effectively.
- Knowledge of Web Service standards (REST, SOAP, WSDL, JSON).
- Databases: Relational Databases, SQL queries. Experience with Oracle and/or Microsoft SQL Server.
- Experience debugging web applications in the browser.
- Familiarity with the following technologies
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
- ASP.NET MVC 5
- ASP.NET CORE 2.1
- ASP.NET Web API
- Entity Framework
- MS SQL Server and Oracle
- This position requires that the incumbent demonstrate strong personal financial responsibility and integrity.
- Final applicants may be subject to an employment credit check, driving record check, and criminal background check.
Physical and Cognitive Requirements:
The physical demands described here are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the incumbent to primarily perform sedentary office work; however, mobility (standing and walking) is routinely required to carry out some duties. It requires extensive computer, copiers, printers telephone and client/customer contact. The job also requires normal cognitive abilities requiring the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies. It requires the stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. Marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements are required for reading printed materials and computer screens and communicating with internal and external customers. The position requires:
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent sitting.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
- Travel required, up to 5% with possible overnight stays.
State law prohibits any employee of the Department from being or becoming “directly or indirectly indebted to, or financially interested in an entity supervised or regulated by the Banking Commissioner.” See Texas Finance Code, Section 12.107.
Those selected for an interview will be contacted by telephone. Final male applicants between the ages of 18 to 26 will be required to furnish proof of registration or exemption from registration with the selective service system.
E-Verify – This organization participates in E-Verify. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
The Texas Department of Banking is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. A disabled individual requiring reasonable accommodation shall not be denied the opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 475-1347.