Class Title: Financial Examiner I-II
Money Services Business (MSB)
Position Number: 451.2016-05
Opening Date: October 27, 2015
Closing Date: November 20, 2015
Starting Salary: Financial Examiner I - $4,107.00, Financial Examiner II - $4,695.00 monthly
Division: Special Audits
Work Location: Arlington, Houston, San Antonio
Overnight Travel: Extensive: at least 50%
Application Process: Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the job requirements, education, and experience listed below. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. An official copy of college transcripts is required. All applications must have an original signature. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for consideration.
Submit Applications and Transcripts to:
Human Resources, 2601 N. Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX. 78705, or fax to (512) 475-1313, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or via www.workintexas.com . Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on the closing date. A State Application may be obtained from the website http://www.dob.texas.gov. or www.workintexas.com . The required documentation may be submitted separate from the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the required documentation is received by the closing date.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields of 36B – Financial Management Technician (Army), 65A – Audit (Air Force), 3408 – Financial Management Resource Officer (Marine Corps-Warrant Officer Only), 020 – Finance and Supply (Coast Guard- Warrant Office Only), LS - Logistics Specialist (Navy) or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AccountingAuditingandFinance.pdf
Financial Examiners perform highly responsible financial examinations of the Money Service Businesses (MSB) industry. Financial Examiners perform entry-level examinations to examinations of increasing complexity and responsibility. Work involves examining accounting records to ensure compliance with applicable statutes and regulations and reports to the Director of Special Audits. Works under the guidance of a Senior Examiner, with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and maintains working knowledge and application of various reference materials including the Texas Finance Code, Texas Administrative Code, departmental memorandums, and MSB procedures.
- Assists with or conducts independent examinations of MSB entities.
- Reviews and evaluates records to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Reviews files for compliance with recordkeeping requirements.
- Examines bank statements and other financial records.
- Reviews and evaluates the financial condition of the MSB license holder to ensure compliance with the statutory guidelines.
- Reviews and evaluates the internal controls associated with MSB operations.
- Determines the overall condition of the MSB license holder, assigns an overall uniform risk rating and presents conclusions and findings to regulated entity management.
- Prepares MSB examination reports.
- Participates in discussions on changes and improvements to examination procedures, rules, and laws and makes recommendations to Departmental management.
- Performs investigative, analytical and administrative duties as assigned.
- Assists with team examinations.
- Assists with seizures of troubled or unlicensed entities as assigned.
- Performs monthly, quarterly and annual examination scheduling projections to ensure entities are examined according to statute.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Experience and Education Requirements
Financial Examiner I – Special Audits MSB
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in finance, accounting, business administration, economics or job related field with a minimum of six hours, nine preferred, in accounting to include basic and or intermediate accounting. Copy of official college transcripts must be submitted with The State of Texas Application for Employment.
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50 on a 4.0 scale for accounting hours.
- Must have a minimum overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
Financial Examiner II – Special Audits MSB
- Same as the Financial Examiner I.
- Plus a minimum of one year experience in accounting or audit activities.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Possess and exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possess working knowledge in the use of personal computers, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of statutory requirements, business operating procedures, accounting practices and reporting techniques.
- Skill in reviewing and auditing financial data and records.
- Skill in collecting, analyzing and documenting research data.
- Skill in preparing accurate written reports on research findings.
- Skill in leadership, organization and time management.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, team members, regulated entity employees and the public.
- Ability to be self-motivated and exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English with the ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing.
- Work experience in a financial institution, trust department or trust company, money service business or related field is desirable.
- Position requires at least 50 % overnight travel.
- Must possess or obtain within six months a valid Texas Drivers license. Satisfactory driving records are required for driving any vehicle to conduct agency business. Final applicants must certify that personally owned vehicles used for agency business have Texas minimum liability coverage and a valid state inspection.
- This position requires that the incumbent demonstrate strong personal financial responsibility and integrity.
- Final applicants may be subject to an employment credit check, driving record check, and criminal background check.
Physical and Cognitive Requirements:
The physical demands described here are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the incumbent to primarily perform sedentary office work; however, mobility (standing and walking) is routinely required to carry out some duties. It requires extensive computer, copiers, printers telephone and client/customer contact. The job also requires normal cognitive abilities requiring the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies. It requires the stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. Marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements are required for reading printed materials and computer screens and communicating with internal and external customers. The position requires:
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones.
- Frequent sitting.
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
State law prohibits any employee of the Department from being or becoming “directly or indirectly indebted to, or financially interested in an entity supervised or regulated by the Banking Commissioner.” See Texas Finance Code, Section 12.107.
Those selected for an interview will be contacted by telephone. Final male applicants between the ages of 18 to 26 will be required to furnish proof of registration or exemption from registration with the selective service system.
E-Verify – This organization participates in E-Verify. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization
The Texas Department of Banking is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. A disabled individual requiring reasonable accommodation shall not be denied the opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 475-1347.